|The Stubbington and Hill Head History Society|
|The St Edmund's window in Crofton Old Church|
The original church of Crofton was built in the late 9th or early lOth Century. It is referred to in the Domesday Book of 1087 as the "Crofton Church of the Holy Rood". At this time Crofton belonged to Count Man of Brittany, a follower of William the Conqueror. Later the Premonstratension Abbey at Titchfield in 1232 claimed that the Bishop of Winchester had given it the parish church of Titchfield with its chapel of Crofton.
The chapel remained in the possession of the abbey until its surrender to Henry Vlll in 1537.
A 16th Century document records "Now the Croftoners is a Chapel of Ease and Titchfield is its Mother Church".
This association with Titchfield Church continued until 14th January 1871 when Crofton with Stubbington became a separate ecclesiastical parish. A new parish church of the Holy Rood was built in 1878 in Stubbington at a cost of £4000 to accommodate 550 people.
The old church, now known as St Edmund's, is used for regular weekly services every Sunday, Patronal services, harvest festivals, weddings etc.
In 1980 the PCC considered closing St Edmund's due to the lack of funds for its upkeep, This was obviated by a successful appeal which culminated in the formation of the Friends of Crofton Old Church (FOCOC) who now have the responsibility for the maintenance of the church's fabric.